Friday, May 7, 2010

Gallery Analysis #2


As mentioned by people in class today, I enjoyed this gallery view better than the first one. The two pieces I chose were Kate Varney's Dream Landscape #2, and Meat Packing Industry. Dream Landscape #2 and Meat Packing Industry were both mixed media pieces. I chose both of these pieces because I really liked the color and textures involved; they are also very interesting to look at. Meat Packing Industry and Dream Landscape # 2 have similar colors and textures involed, but the meanings behind the pieces are very different. Kate Varney worked with magzines and went over old paintings to create Dream Landscape #2. The Meat Packing Industry piece was inspired off one of her other pieces and the movie Food Inc. Both of the pieces show a wide range of colors and textures. There is a lot of line quality involved as well. I think both of the pieces are aesthetically pleasing; I don't think I would have chose them if they were not! There is a lot to take in within both of the pieces, but I believe that adds a lot of value to them. The artist's intention in making these particular pieces was to show art as a part of every day life. Kate believes everything is used for inspiration and there should not be discrimination between trash and treasure. Varney relies heavily on layering, and was inspired by Robert Rauschenberg.

1 comment: